Wednesday, October 31, 2012

TRICK OR TREAT... Give Me Something Good To Eat!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!


            "Come little children, I'll take thee away, Into a land of enchantment, Come little children, the times come to play , Here in my garden of magic."-Hocus Pocus

   What is everyone doing this Hallows Eve? This year the haunting day lands on a Wednesday, the great thing about that is everyone has many pre,day of, and post Halloween bash's. Halloween to my family and I is like CHRISTMAS! We love this day. Everything about it from the classic black and orange colors, dressing up as your favorite ghoul, and decorating the house to the baked goods!

My House is known for the decor and ofcourse, treats!

      I wanted to share with you a fun project I made for a Halloween bash themed Sweeney Todd (any theatre person would appreciate this cake!) and the love of gift giving the ladies in my family have !!


 Here my sister and mother, working hard to make wonderful baskets, full of yummy treats for their loved ones. There is nothing sweeter than a little surprise on this fun haunting day!


     As I was filming different projects ( I even got to play a ghouls myself for a film that will premiere at the Borscht Film festival!), my mother took the liberty of baking up a storm, and then luckily I was able to decorate  everything in a matter of 6 hours.
Attractive, no?

   For the party, I was asked for a Sweeney Todd theme cake, and then cupcakes to be fun and light hearted for the children.
   Here we have an assortment of cupcakes. Some have beautiful paper cut outs of haunted houses, half yellow moons , zombie's, pumpkins, witches,  ghouls, and "skin"aka cotton candy pieces (unfortunately I forgot to take individual pictures of that). 

   I do however have a close-up on the "brains" and "vampire bites". The flavoring of the cupcakes were, guava and cream cheese, dulce de leche, and chocolate toffee fudge.


   Here are some of the process photos of the cake, I figured if we are doing "Sweeney Todd" theme we must have a giant meat pie! The bottom tier I made it look stained with blood, dirt, and moldy by brushing on pigments. Gives it an airbrush feel, without the annoyance of a compressor!   

   I then wanted those barber stripes some how involved and had it act as the pie "holder". I was going to paint them on, but I liked how bold they were with the incorporation of red fondant, and manipulating them to contort a bit was fun too. Almost circus like... 
    I did not take the moment to photograph the ear and fingers I made out of fondant, but I molded them in a flesh tone and then added pigments to make them pop and of course - look gross!  I then had a good red running icing and pumped them in, then added a thin layer of painted red on the edges of the "thick blood" to really give that natural bleed....gross.


  The top tier was a chocolate fudge toffee cake with cream cheese icing and bottom was vanilla bean almond with vanilla buttercream.

  I hope you enjoyed the haunting treats my ladies and I made. It's always a wonderful thrill to give out children and see their faces light up, but what's just as sweet is seeing adults inner child come out to play!


   Happy Halloween Everyone! May your evening be full of love and laughter but most importantly be safe! My heart goes out to my loved ones up the North East, be safe and try and bring a little joy this Hallows Eve!

-Caro

P.S. Stay tuned for some fun make-up/ and costumes from Halloween celebrations! Still to come, Macarons and A Spot of Tea Vol.III, and Sugar flower making, where i talk about my favorite books, online tutorials, and local classes! 

Yummy Confections!


still in process with these flowers (Gerbera Daisy, and Rose)














No comments:

Post a Comment