Friday, October 12, 2012

CARO'S LIBRARY: MACARONS

BEFORE
   So my dear viewers, have you caught MACARON FEVER, yet? It's hard to come off from that, I'm still severely consumed by it.  Have you come to a point where you want to make your own macarons yet? Maybe this weekend? If you are in the Miami area, I would recommend MILES CAKES, CANDY, AND BAKER SUPPLY STORE. They finally started carrying almond flower (by the pound and wholesale price!). They also carry almond flower at whole foods, and select Publix (check green wise section!).
AFTER

    Wouldn't you love to show up to a get together, with a box of home made macarons? It's impressive and your loved ones will adore your new found culinary art skills. I don't know about you all, but my  ladies and I love to do pot lucks, and brunches. You can't go wrong with food and good conversation! Home made goodies are also top choice for the holiday season as well, and we are at the point where they are going to come fast! AND I MEAN FAST!
  
     For me, the holidays start in late August! I celebrate many back to back birthdays throughout my family and friends! Before I know it, it's the new year, and I always try to improvise when I'm on a budget! I'm cuban! I HAVE A LOT OF FAMILY MEMBERS (I'll post some of the baked goods  soon in the past months!)!
  
     So today I merely am going to recommend you some of my favorite books, to enlighten and inspire you! I will be posting some of my own macarons, soon, that I have made. I've been playing with a lot of flavors and have been coming up with "collections", I guess you can say?! I'll be posting "Macarons and a spot of tea Vol. 3" on my homemade macarons soon! I would love to get your feedback since in the future I will be putting these collections to good use ;) (cough cough, Sylv!). The beauty about macarons, is that one you learn how to make the basic shell, the fun really begins! So many pairings you can do, and colors to choose from.
  
     At first it may seem tedious, but I promise you, once you get the hand of them (sooner than you think) you will enjoy making them, but most importantly EATING them!

   So, for the first installation of "Caro's Library" featuring: Macarons, here are my recommended books on this treat! Best wishes everyone... If you do take the plunge on making these delightful confections, I would love to know what flavors/colors/ and books helped you!




This is the recipe book from NYC's, Macaron Cafe! In this book you will find an easy to follow break down of how to bake the Macaron cookie. With picture's clear as day! Along with flavoring the shell and variety of fillings.



 
Here we have two books, great for inspirational flavors and presentation of the macarons! They also have sweet introductions on the history of macarons!
The top is "Macarons, Chic & Delicious French Treats" and bottom is "Les Petit Macarons, Colorful French Confections to Make".



    Are you a fan of the actress, Sandra Bullock? I am, Practical Magic and the Glass House are my favorite! Now you can be a fan of her sister, Genine Bullock-Prado, this is her cook book(below) for all things sugar! She really has a great BLOG to follow too, there you can find a video on how she makes her macarons, along with great tips in what to look for in forming the batter! Eggs can be tricky, she talks about how you can tell when your egg whites are ready to be mixed with the almond flower and confectioner's sugar. The common mistake is making the meringue stiff peeks, but she explains the stage in which they will be holding a bec d'oiseau, or "bird's beak".  Also she helps you keep in mind when making the shell/ cookie part of the macaron, you want smooth round shell, enough crisp on the outside, but chewy full centers, with well formed pieds, or "feet",


      Last but not least is Laduree's, Sucre recipe book! Fans worldwide have been asking for their recipe or some insight on their amazing pastries and now you can take home some of their secrets! I have never been able to find the Sucre, sweet, recipe book at any of Miami's local bookstores, Though there are plenty of Laduree's, Savory Recipe book available (I have that one too, I couldn't resist!). It wasn't until I was in Ontario, Canada that I actually saw it available in a book store, not surprised, by then I had already ordered it and had it waiting for me at home! Once again the presentation sets this book apart, it's as if it was a box of macarons itself. Gorgeous! Every time I go to open it I handle it with such care, fearing i will tear the purple tissue paper it came in. BBUUHHAaaahaHahahaha I'm ridiculous! I know!

  So soon I will post some of my "collections" I have been creating for gifts, and selling to local bakeries/cafe's/store's. I hope these books will inspire you to treat your loved ones! There is nothing more rewarding than to see the joy people have from eating this sophisticated cookie, that you created from your hands!

ADORABLE, NO?!

        Take the challenge, Au Revoir!

                  CARO

P.S. Just incase some snobby person wants to correct you, here's a common misconception of the, MACARON! 
PHOTO CREDIT TOO ANGES DE SUCRE




2 comments:

  1. You and your brother are tiny angels on either shoulder...who will win!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as there is no devil on either shoulder, I say it's a tie! ;) teehee.

      Delete