Sunday, October 21, 2012

FULL TIME PERFORMER, PART TIME BAKER VOL.2


Photography By: Blast Em Photography
...AND WE'RE BACK!

  So I wanted to show you all some of the celebration cakes I've made. Most of them were recently made for birthdays, and my niece's baptism! Along with that my birthday cake my sister, Sylvia, made and since the holidays will be coming fast I thought I show you some of the treats I've made to inspire you to make your own! 


  If there is something you like and would like to inquire on pricing or a tutorial, please message/or comment, enjoy!



  So, the top right is the baptismal cake I made for my niece, the most recent cake I made this October! (Below is a little bit of my process with the cake.) Funny story, I had signed up for a class on making baptismal cakes, just a week before and it got canceled. I was so nervous about attempting it, but really took my time on this yummy cake! I looked up images on interest and google, asked my sister what she wanted and then went for it. It probably totaled from baking to decorating just about 10 hours. I felt really good about not having taken any classes yet and still accomplishing such a cake!
  
   Next is my older brothers super hero themed cake, that was a lot of fun to make! On the bottom left is my dads Birthday cake decorated with a cascade of balloons flying away. The mushroom man cake was inspired by friend, Ashley who wanted something different and funny to give to her buddy, she also joined in the fun and learned to decorate with fondant. The cake on the bottom right was a wedding cake topper made for my friend, Christy's, sister.


This is the birthday cake my sister made for me! I guess the bigger the age the bigger the cake! Cant wait to see what happens on my 25th. So at first glance you think "Whoa its probably the most decadent cake ever"! This cake is an oreo cheesecake, with chocolate cake layers, handmade oreo truffles, and drizzled ganache. It's surprisingly light and fluffy from the layered cakes to the cheese cake! It was heaven on a plate! My sis has some yummy skills! Sylv, if you are reading this-- i'm hungry.




   Here we have some fall themed treats, last Thanksgiving I had made a chocolate almond buttercream cake, along with pumpkin spiced macarons with fillings of   pumpkin cinnamon buttercream, chestnut buttercream w/chocolate ganache, vanilla buttercream, and nutella. I will be sure to do those again (they flew!), it also is great for my gluten free family members! 
     On the Right top corner, I made a desserts table for my friends, Greg and Claudia, celebrating their engagement during Christmas time! Here we have cake topper, cupcakes, buttercream cake with macarons shells, macarons in hazelnut, vanilla bean, raspberry, dark chocolate ganache.Their family and friends enjoyed the desserts so much I will be doing another arrangement for their wedding this coming december!  
     The gingerbread house, I made for my family, along with some holiday themed macarons beautifully packaged, presentation is KEY! Next lined up are some of the valentine themed sweets I made for my loved ones. I really loved my "Just the Two of Us" simply cake. Obviously I'm the glittered heart ;)



     Can I just say-- I HATE MAKING CAKE-POPS!!! They are adorable and can be as fun and child like as you want to or frou frou for some posh looking dessert tables ( I made a baby shower themed kind)! There are two ways of making cake-pops, mixing the baked cake with icing and forming balls, or getting cake ball mold, or machines ( I have the babycake brand machine! AWESOME!) I prefer the second way, I don't really like this "meatball" way. To each his own. Also some petit fours (gotta practice making them). Cant go wrong with key lime pie's for summer time and for Miami, it's acceptable all year round! I love pearling anything, and glittering all things! My favorite things to glittered are MARCARONS! Shocking--riiiggghhhhhttttt? No-- but really? I don't know anyone else that does, so when I bought an array of edible glitter I thought, why not? It worked out beautifully. 


  Sugar flowers can be tricky, I have been practicing more and more just recently acquired a 6 hour class on rose making at "Cake Art Miami", with some of the free time I had (pics coming soon). Books and Youtube can be great resources, but there is nothing like a little hands on experience to get the proper kinks out of making sugar flowers. I recommend this place for supplies and classes, if you are local. 
  

Always looking like a mad woman!
         














  So now you have seen some of the eclectic confections I have made with all my love and passion. Below is a little bit of the process of the baptismal cake I made for my niece, and how I created the christening gown!

Did you catch the PBC pipe from home depot? Why spend $20+ on a rolling pin, when you can get the same thing for under three dollars? My sister really liked the idea of bringing the pink together from the flowers to the cake.
    After draping the white fondant and making pleats and folds, I quickly added some wooden/plastic and foam bendable rods to allow the bottom portion of the dress to set. The "fabric" effect I did on the gown, is commonly used for any cake that may have a clothing/fabric piece laid. This cake was done with Satin Ice Fondant, it's one of the better tasting fondants in my opinion!

    Next, came the detail.This is where you take your cake from looking one dimensional to life like.  That really sets any cake apart from the rest. I did a variety of highlighting to some layering of sorts, using lace from cut outs I used and highlighter pigments/ pearling dust to prevent the fabric from looking flat. I then "sewed" in a ribbon and attached beaded flowers for some extra flair.

   I hope you enjoyed my process photos. I have some on the Superman cake, as well, if interested.  I'll try and make more going forward when it comes to the more intricate detailing. Well, I have more cakes to bake and design in the coming months. Be sure to keep a look out!

-CARO

P.S.
   I think when it comes to life's celebrations..... "You can have your cake and eat it too!"

Photography By: Natalie Melissa Photography (The cakes in the background I made (-; ).
With Actress/Model, Jordan Sasaki








No comments:

Post a Comment