Sunday, September 9, 2012

MACARONS AND A SPOT OF TEA VOL.1

 Laduree-- New York, New York


                       I figured we could start with this picture, I'm sure you noticed it as my background earlier. Here are macarons from the most magical place, 'Laduree'. This is actually the Manhattan, New York location on Madison between 70th and 71st (one day I'll go to the original Laduree, in Paris). These parisian cookies have been around for some time, and they have in the past year or so been titled as "The new cupcake".  Fine by me! I'm in love with these bite sized confections. Laduree, has got it right! The presentation is impeccable. The packaging is gorgeous; soft and subtle pastels from the boxes to the tissue paper, pure eye candy!

       There are so many flavors! Their traditional flavors are vanilla, chocolate, pistachio, rose, coffee, black current violet, caramel with salted butter, almond, lemon, and licorice. I have had them all except lemon and licorice and I highly recommend that you try as many as you can and pair it with tea! I was up in the city for a few weeks working on a project just after they had open, so I just had to take advantage! The best part is the flavors don't stop there! They have their seasonal flavors as well! With every seasonal flavor, they feature them in beautiful window displays! Here we have 'Cherry Blossom'. Again, amazing taste.
CHERRY BLOSSOM MACARONS, LADUREE

       I really was summoned to the city this past March. During those three weeks I was there "Macaron Day 2012" happened! The weather couldn't have been more perfect! It was a mid 70's with a nice breeze. Anything lower than that and I  would have turned into an ice cube! Cold weather is not my thing, I'm from Miami, and the moment the temperature drops lower than 70 degrees, I bust out with a scarf, sweater, leather jacket, pants, and boots! Cold weather should only exist during the holidays--thats it! My friends in other cities think I'm ridiculous. I don't know how you all do it with a "light jacket".
  
     Back to "Macaron Day 2012", although Laduree is probably my favorite carrier of macarons, I stumbled upon some amazing patisserie's and cafe's along the way!

This day is great for many reasons:

1. FREE SAMPLE'S OF MACARONS
2. DISCOVER NEW PLACES TO EAT
3. SIGHT SEEING

         My friend, Michelle, had a day off from the theatre and I had no rehearsal-- SCORE!
Here are some of our favorites, from the many places that participated in "Macaron Day 2012":



   BOSIE TEA PARLOR- 10 MORTON ST

  MILLE-FEUILLE BAKERY CAFE- 552 LAGUARDIA PL.

  FRANCOIS PAYARD BAKERY- 116 WEST HOUSTON ST.

  BISOUSCIAO. MACARONS- 101 STANTON ST

  MACARON CAFE-750 3RD AVE

  LA MAISON DU CHOCOLAT- 30 ROCKEFELLER CENTER 49 ST 

* Visit www.macarondaynyc.com for a complete listing of all participants.

       You will really want to visit these locations, they make an endless variety of flavors i.e; lavender honey, green tea, earl grey, vanilla cheesecake,  bacon n' maple syrup, hibiscus rhubarb, ect. ect.

         You know what will give that macaron just a little something extra? Tea. So set your alarms for 4 o'clock and enjoy high tea or whatever hour of the day you wish!
The majority of the places listed above serve tea, some even have wine and champagne (BOSIE TEA PARLOR GREAT FOR TEA AND WINE). For me, there are two places I love:

ALICE'S TEA CUPS- 156 EAST 64TH AND LEX, UPPER EAST SIDE(they have 3 locations, but this one is my fav, ask to sit up stairs!)

MEET MICHELLE AND THE MAD HATTER


-SIT DOWN RESTAURANT/TO GO AVAILABLE
*RECOMMENDATIONS: 
    MAD HATTER( YOUR CHOICE OF TWO TYPES OF SANDWICHES, 2 SCONES (PUMPKIN SCONES ARE THE BEST!!!), A DESSERT, AND 2 POTS OF TEA!

AND

HARNEY AND SONS- 433 AND BROOME ST.,  SOHO 

IMAGINE A LIBRARY OF THESE TEA FILLED TIN CANS


-SIT DOWN CAFE / TO GO AVAILABLE
*RECOMMENDATIONS: 
       FLAVORED TEA'S: PARIS, FLORENCE, HOT CINNAMON SPICE, SOHO TEA, PEACHES 'N GINGER, MIDSUMMER'S PEACH.
       BE SURE THAT WHEN YOU ENTER, YOU GO TO THEIR TEA TASTING BAR. THEIR FLIGHT TEA'S OF THE MOMENT, ALONG WITH A TEA OF YOUR CHOICE. THAT'S TWO FREE CUPS OF HEAVEN!


      Macarons and tea are a wonderful treat. If you are ever in New York City, I highly recommend those places! Especially when you need a break from the constant hustle and bustle. 

FEATURED TEA'S: MIDSUMMER'S PEACH & PARIS
     

         Just finished steeping a pot of tea,"Paris", from Harney and Sons. So that leads me to my next post. I obviously cant keep flying up to NYC for only macarons and tea. I have to get my fix somehow and I've done enough exploring to tell you where to get them in "Sunny South Florida"! 'MACARONS AND A SPOT OF TEA VOL.2'  is coming! 

       Pinkies Up,

                     Caro

P.S.

ISN'T THIS GORGEOUS? THIS TEA HOUSE/ BOUTIQUE IS LOCATED IN MIAMI--DETAILS TO COME!





  





No comments:

Post a Comment